Friday, June 18, 2010


It's hard to think about school and PTO when summer is just getting started and the days are just getting warm and sunny (like today--AMAZING!). But I promised to get this PTO blog going, so I'm doin' it! I hope you're all having a great summer, daydreaming of ways you can contribute to PTO next year! Heh, heh...

If any of you missed out on the minutes from the emergency June PTO Meeting, I'm re-posting them here and will continue to update the blog with registration, fundraiser, and activity information, so bookmark this site and check back often!

--Jamie Melin, PTO Secretary


June 16, 2010- Winans PTO Emergency Meeting

Present: Tammy Lewis, President; Carol Ann Romans, Treasurer; Jim Huntzicker, Principal; Zanya Betley, filling in for Secretary Jamie Melin; Kathy Pesa, PTO member
Minutes: Zanya Betley

Main Topic: 2009-2010 Yearbook

Kathy Pesa called an emergency meeting to discuss yearbook.
Kathy spoke with Julie Dennison with Printing For Less. PTO cancelled our yearbook order when we were unable to coordinate sales by carnival. To date Julie has everything needed to complete our yearbook and only needs someone to approve the cover PFL designed for us. Kathy spoke with Julie last week. PFL can print any quantity we order and will charge PTO $5 to $6 per book regardless of quantity. Kathy has spoken with many of the 5th grade parents and currently has orders for approximately 25 books. After a discussion for prospects of selling additional books, it was decided:
· Kathy will work with Julie and has PTO support to approve the yearbook cover
· Kathy will order 50 yearbooks
· Kathy offered to contact 5th grade parents (and others who have ordered books) and allow parents to pick up books at her business, The UPS Store.
· Kathy will collect $7/book (the price originally voted on by PTO for yearbook) and distribute funds to PTO treasurer, Carol Ann Romans, at the School District office.
· Kathy (well her children)will create a yearbook display at Winan’s School where Summer School is taking place 3 days per week. The display will notify parents that yearbooks may be purchased at The UPS Store for $7. This yearbook will remain on display for 2010-2011 student registration, August 23rd.
· Kathy is going to check with Julie to see if we can make an additional yearbook order in the Fall providing there is enough parent interest.
· Thanks to Kathy Pesa for taking the lead on this and to Jamie Meline for all her efforts on putting the yearbook together!!!
· Assuming PFL is willing to print an additional order for us at the same price, PTO will take preorders for 2009-2010 yearbooks in Fall when school starts. PTO agrees to order the number of preorders plus an additional 25 cushion.
· Those interested in purchasing a yearbook contact Kathy Pesa at The UPS Store.

Other Topics Discussed
Future of PTO
· Limited meeting attendance
· Merge Marsha’s email list with PTO, have parents opt out in opt in
· Jamie Meline has offered to create a Winan’s PTO website. A link will be placed on the school district’s website, but we will be able to update our own content
· At initial fall meeting Jamie will have a list of all PTO activities. We will have parents chair activities (Carol Ann had great success with this for carnival). Any activity without a volunteer chairperson will just NOT happen.

· Huge success! Thank you Carol Ann and committee!!!
· Agreed we will shoot for the 1st week in May next year

School Calendar
· School starts almost a week later than usual
· Class goes through June 10th
· Have more holidays off

Additional things to be discussed at Fall meeting
Winan’s T-shirt contest
· Carol Ann suggest a class contest
· Winner will be printed on Tshirts and Sweatshirts
· Could have a new winner each year
· Jo Young has indicated to Carol Ann that she is willing to coordinate the printing/sales of shirts
· Suggested we shop around for price

Appreciation for Marsha
Arrange for flowers or other type of appreciation gift/gesture for Marsha (perhaps around Secretary’s Day?)

Lucky Tray
· Zanya asked about whether we got the lucky tray program going this year
· Tammy provided prizes and the program was successful this year
· Judy gave the entire 4th grade prized one Friday when 5th graders were out of the building

Grant Efforts- Playground Rockwall project
· Tammy is pursuing grants to assist us in completing our rockwall
· Kathy suggested contacting Ted Madden with Park County Community Foundation for coordination efforts (one stop shop as he may be able to connect her with grantors interesting in assisting with this type of projects)
· Kathy also suggested LEF Livingston Educational Foundation
· Kathy states it is helpful to have ½ of the funds raised and show community support
· Zanya suggested submitting a grant to the Community Closet for matching funds

· Following a discussion about service quality at our current bank a motion was made by Carol Ann Romans -

MOTION: Explore other local banks. If as a non-profit we can obtain free checking and savings account at another institution, move both our checking and saving account from the current financial institution to the new bank, if it is in PTO’s best interest.
· The motion was seconded by Zanya Betley and passed unanimously.